Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Letting Go of Thinking There's a Right and a Wrong Way to Do Things . . .

Today's guidance for letting go is:

"Let go of thinking there's a right and wrong way to do things or to see the world. Enjoy the contrast and celebrate the diversity and richness of life."

You know, I grew up thinking that the world was pretty black and white. There was a right way to do something and a wrong way. There was a right side of the law and a wrong side. There was a right way to navigate life and a wrong way.

I'm learning that life is not really right or wrong. That, often when I've been told I am "wrong" it means that in the eyes of that person, I am simply different.

How many times do we see this play out in wars that are really about religious, political or philosophical differences? What about the rights for gay people to marry? There are so many arguments on this topic, because some people consider the gay lifestyle "right" and others think that the lifestyle is "wrong."

However, life is never that cut and dried, is it? Life is all about shades of gray, forever transforming and never ending up exactly white or black.

I remember once when teaching one of my daughters how to cook, I was teaching her in the same way I had been taught. When she said that she wanted to do things a different way, I stopped for a moment and then said, "Well, let's try that!" Guess what? The recipe turned out even better! Because I refused to press on her MY way, which I momentarily considered the RIGHT way, I learned a valuable lesson. I went on to use this technique with employees, friends, and other people. Each time, I learned something new!

The second part of the suggestion is also compelling. Because if we force our views or ways of doing things on others, then we end up with a very stilted view of life, don't we? When we "enjoy the contrast" or the different way of looking at things, we can look forward to a rich experience.

I also love the word DIVERSITY, although I feel it's been overused and misused in the last 20 years or so. Diversity to me means being open to new experiences with new cultures, new foods and new celebrations and rituals. For example, I eat very differently than my parents do. I enjoy oriental foods, vegan options and seafood. I had never had Eggs Benedict until I graduated college and moved to the Dallas area. I LOVE IT! Yet, I had to take a risk and try it, to learn that I like eggs with Holandaise sauce.

Eating is certainly one of the easier areas to experiment. What about your personal philosophies? Your spiritual or religious beliefs? Well, if I hadn't suspended judgment to go with my husband to our first mediumship gallery, I wouldn't be on the journey I am on today.

There are some people who consider that spirit communication is "wrong." Yet, I see how much messages from friends and loved ones in spirit help people who are grieving. I think that the Christian Church and Catholicism has made the subject taboo to keep mankind under their control. The more I study the subjects of spiritualism, the more I feel this is true.

Yet, I am not making my beliefs "right." These are just my beliefs. So, I intend to "enjoy the contrast and celebrate the diversity and richness of life!"

No comments:

Post a Comment