Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Letting Go of Self-Hate!

In today's suggestion, which is the last one from Shannon Kaiser's list, she discusses the topic of "self-hate."

"Let go of self-hate. You are not the shape of your body of the number on the scale. Who you are matters, and the world needs you, as you are. Celebrate!

WOW! What a special challenge she offers! We tend to get so caught up in our physical bodies! As I was typing this, I became so aware of my current struggle with the "number on the scale."

What if I just accepted that number? Isn't the irony or practical matter of the situation such that when I accept my body AS IT IS, then I have the ability to change it?

What we resist, persists . . . how many times have we heard that, seen it on Facebook and seen it modeled in our lives?

So, by accepting my body, in its present state, I have the power to change it, to become healthier, slimmer, more toned, etc.

Also, when we spend so much energy on resisting or rebelling or figuring out the next diet or exercise plan, we have less energy to expend on LIVING!

So, instead of "self-hate," I'm focusing on SELF-LOVE! One of my favorite spiritual teachers, Matt Kahn, invites you to say "I love you" three times, several times a day, by placing your hand over your heart and uttering the words (out loud if possible).

I know that I do this now, as a matter of course, during my day and it is so affirming! I even say it to my new puppy and feel that doing so is building that bond of love and trust that is so important.

This brings us to the end of Shannon's list of 20 Things to Let Go of Before the New Year (see below for the link if you want to see the entire list.) First of all, my thanks to Shannon. I LOVED this list and all that it brought into my life. Second, I'm not finished with my "lists."

Tomorrow, I will start with a quote from Joseph Campbell and then share 9 more, during my Ten Days With Joseph Campbell series.

So, "see" you then!

Here's a link to Shannon's wonderful article:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11973/20-things-to-let-go-of-before-the-new-year.html

No comments:

Post a Comment