Sunday, January 5, 2014

Letting Go of Feeling Guilty for Doing What You Truly Want to Do

Today, I want to talk a little about feeling guilty. And I'm not talking about feeling guilty for things I've done. That's what most people want you to focus on.

But, in her article, Shannon Kaiser specifically talks about "letting go of feeling guilty for doing what you truly want to do."

You know, those situations where you went ahead and did something that another person didn't want you to do. Maybe a parent or maybe a spouse or sibling. For example, I really wanted to work on the yearbook in high school. My mother wanted me to take all of the secretarial and business courses I could take, so I could get a job right out of high school. I would take one journalism course and then take the business or typing courses she wanted me to take as my other electives.

My senior year, I was named co-editor of the yearbook and that meant that I had to take 2 classes in journalism, one for creating the yearbook and one for managing the team of students that worked with us. I had a long talk with my mother. In the end, I talked her into it. But, for a long, long time, I felt guilty. Even after the yearbook came out and we won several awards and I was extremely proud of it, a part of me felt guilty for doing "what I truly wanted to do."

I can think of many examples of this in my life. Yet, isn't it a waste of precious energy?

So, today, I am going to focus on letting go of feeling guilty for doing what I want to do and being who I want to be.

And, that is an idea for another blog! More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment