Tuesday, March 31, 2015

50 Lessons Life Taught Me - Regina Brett's List

I love lists. That is, lists that inspire me or encourage me in some way. When I read about Regina Brett’s 50 Lessons Life Taught Me, I knew that I had to take a look. It’s a great list that inspires me and confirms many truths that I’ve come to know, as well. I’ll list one per day and write a little about what it means to me. Feel free to comment, if I strike a chord in you or you want to add to my writing.

#1 Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.


This one bugged me when I first read it. I once had a counselor who told me that anytime you use the word “but” in a sentence, you negate the truth of everything you said BEFORE the “but.”

An example would be a cheating spouse, who says, “I love you, but, I have my own needs.” The spouse has his own needs AND he doesn’t love her. Probably doesn’t even love himself, but that’s for another day and another blog!

So, if you go with the idea shared by my counselor, she is really saying that Life IS Fair and Good. I truly believe this. Many times, we get so caught up in our own “pity party” that we miss the beautiful life that surrounds us. We miss the blessings in people, opportunities and situations in our lives.

I also believe that we have a Soul Contract, an agreement that we make before we are born, in which we set out certain lessons we want to learn. We also have karma to work out, a kind of balancing of “you did this to me” and “I’ll do this to you” here in Earth School.

Now, someone is going to present the idea of a child with a horrific disease or disfiguring accident and ask, “How is that fair?” Well, what if that Soul planned that life path, to learn specific lessons here in Earth School? If that was the plan, then the details ARE fair and are just what he/she ordered!

Another idea that some people don’t remember is that I have my Soul Contract and you have yours. I have my lessons and you have your lessons, as well. It’s a very complicated matrix of all of those contracts and plans and detours. Just watch “The Adjustment Bureau” for a small glimpse of how this works and how things can change, when we make one small variation.

When you agree with the idea of Soul Contracts, you begin to see that Life IS Fair. The cosmic forces (God, The Universe or whatever you choose to call the Great All That Is) are always engaged behind the scenes to work things out. I believe that things are always working for your highest good. So, to me, life is fair, because it is a representation of what I set out in my life plan before I came down here.

Want to read more about this idea? You’ll enjoy Robert Schwartz’s book “Your Soul’s Plan.”

No comments:

Post a Comment