Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Compassion for Myself

Over the past few months, I’ve been reading Talk to Yourself like a Buddhist, by Cynthia Kane.

This book is available on Amazon:

https://tinyurl.com/yanrmf73

I love books like this, because not only do you get the author’s knowledge and experience in the subject matter, you also get exercises to ground what you learn and give you tools for growth.

The chapter on the Practice of Listening really spoke to me. Do you really listen when you hear those words you say to yourself, over and over? What themes are you reprising?

For example, here is a list of themes that you might be featuring and one negative statement for each:

Relationships
I am unloveable.

Physical Appearance
I am ugly

Work/Education/Finances
She is more successful than I am

Personal Development
I meditate daily, but I still get angry in traffic!

So, to quote Cynthia Kane, “Fire the Drill Sargent and Hire the Cheerleader!” Every time you “hear” a negative admonition, replace it with something positive.

Although I am a long way from totally eliminating negative self-talk, I AM listening and I AM catching myself more and more. When I bring in the Cheerleader and high five myself, the days go better!

Send compassion to yourself, as well as others!

No comments:

Post a Comment