Thursday, January 8, 2015

Freedom . . . What is it? What does it mean?

I recently took off 5 days in a row, after Christmas. I started the 5 days thinking: “I have 5 wonderful days of freedom. I can do anything!” I had plans to clean my home office, do some writing, put up the Christmas stuff, you know, the regular “after the holidays” To Do List.
Each day, I would awaken and say to myself, “5 days of Freedom ” and then “4 Days of Freedom,” and so on. On the next to the last day, I meditated and then caught myself thinking, “This is my next to last day of Freedom. I really haven’t DONE much.”
Then, I heard, as clear as someone speaking to me, right in the room with me, “PJ, you’ve been getting some Soul Healing.”
WOW!
Yes, I played, I watched Christmas movies (yes, AFTER Christmas), I did a little shopping. I did some research for a new computer that I want to get. I had lunch with daughters and my brother and sister and their families. One day, I showered and hung around the house all day, wearing jeans and an old sweatshirt and no makeup! I made dinner for my hubby 2 nights! (He’s the chef in our family—I get delicious meals prepared for me most weekdays!)
Then, on Saturday, I had planned lunch with a friend. About 2 hours before our lunch date, I got a text from my daughter that they were heading to the vet with their dog, who was not feeling well. A few minutes later, I got the news that Belle was not long for this world. I quickly cancelled on my friend (who is a very understanding gal) and headed to the grocery store to pick up some items to make soup and cookies at my daughter’s house.
I am so glad that I was available to help out. The mood was somber and everyone needed a hearty, warm meal after getting back from the vet. (My daughter’s in-laws were visiting.) I made tortilla soup and had some warm bread and cookies ready in no time. I helped my daughter with some cleaning and laundry and the two granddaughters. I provided support during a difficult, heart-wrenching time.
As I drove home from her house, once again, I reflected on the idea of “freedom.” Maya Angelou’s famous quote, “I know why the caged bird sings” came to my mind.
Now, I know why. The idea of freedom has nothing to do with external circumstances or duties or busy-ness. It has to do with an inner feeling of freedom. . . a feeling that I AM free . . . free to be myself. Free to BE, not just do.
So many times, I feel stressed because of what I think is expected of me. True freedom comes from knowing that I don’t have to DO anything at all.
In fact, I can be even MORE free by resisting that urge to DO, to be busy.
That’s what my 5 days of PLAY was about. Learning about true freedom, receiving Soul Healing. Just chilling and relaxing.
The caged bird sings because it knows that its Soul is NOT caged. Because its Soul is already flying free. . . free to fly and free to BE.
I am free to be, where ever I happen to be. It is up to me to find that place of freedom within myself. Maya Angelou calls this her “Place of Enchantment,” and isn’t that a wonderful name for it?
Free to be me, free to be enchanted, free to be delighted . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment